Wednesday 14 November 2012

Magnetism Science lessons

We have been doing lots of great science lessons and experiments last week as we work with magnets and electricity.  We are continuing our lessons from Real Science 4 kids.
First we had the kids figure out a magnets field and draw it out.  We had the kids place a magnet under a piece of paper and laid on top a page protector filled with a iron filings (tape the top close so not to make a mess).  Here you can clearly see the N and S poles of the magnet (middle of the page)

Then the kids magnetize a sewing needle and made a compass.
Next we completed the experiment in the lab book Real Science 4 kids and made an electromagnet.  We had the children graph and answer the question "does the number of coils around the magnet increase or decrease the magnetic force?"   Kids had fun with this one!

Lastly we attempted to make our own generator with magnets.  We struggled with this one, I must say, but we did get this  to work, sort of;)....there is always one experiment that looks good on paper but hard to do in your home:)!
My friend knew about this rule (I did not) and it is a great way to remember which way the electrical currents flow when using a magnet.  


We are hoping to do one more week of learning about magnets and electricity by creating our own robots!



5 comments:

  1. The right handed rule. I remember that from college, but I couldn't explain it without a review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never learned that rule about magnets. Physical science is not my strong point, which is why I start outsourcing science once my kids get into middle school. I can fake it for elementary, but not beyond. I don't even want to fake it beyond. I have no idea why I hate physical science so much actually. I love the life sciences and earth sciences. I tolerate chemistry (is that a physical science?), but just looking at a physics or physical science book makes my eyes go all wonky while I start muttering nonsense and smoke starts coming out of my shirt collar, as I start to internally combust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you do such indepth kinds of teachings and this is an awesome one.
    One funny story about Magnets. In our church we have a black boards in the class rooms. For years I was frustrated because if I used a poster I would need to tape it on the board. Of which the posters didn't stay up well. All of the teachers did the same thing. Just a few years ago; someone discovered that the blackboards were like a magnet and you could use magnets to hang your pictures. Awesome!
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always your posts indicate how much you love home schooling. Please consider linking this up at the home school resource website, "look what we did." -Savanna http://lookwhatwedid-homeschool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to put them in a page protector with the top taped shut! I had to pin that to remember it.

    Thanks for linking to Science Sunday!

    ReplyDelete