Friday 2 March 2018

Weekly Wrap UP 3/2/18-- Warhol and Loom socks

For art the boys have been learning about Pop Art and the artist Andy Warhol.  To say Warhol lived an interesting life is an understatement;).

Some resources we look at.  Our local library had a video copy of the Mike Venezia books which we watched and the voice of Andy Warhol in the video was hysterical.  It was very entertaining:)


The Meet the Master art program we used had a lesson on the Soup Can art that was very popular.


Boys completed project


Next we talked about Andy Warhols silk screening portraits.  watch a few videos showing how Andy Warhol worked from the museum website


I took a picture of each boy and use an app to change it to a line sketch.  I always do an example to show the boys and explain the process

Next we discussed Warhol's method and color choices. Then I let the boys go to town on their picture

This project was a huge success, the boys love the craziness of it:)  Even my friend got in on the fun and did her own version of her son:)

In our Literature class we are working on another poetry unit and more figurative language.
Some of the terms we are learning about

We are trying to encourage the boys to take notes.  My daughters public school classes often provide an outline of the topic so I decide to try to copy this idea for the two boys.  It worked pretty well.  
looking at some poetry books

learning to create two new types of poems
List and Cinquain



Firedrake is reading Ready Player ONE in her Science Fiction class at school.  She is really enjoying this class.  I have never read this book but my husband has so they enjoy talking about it :)  Now that the movie is coming out the end of the month I have begun to read the book and it is very good.  Lots of 80's references in it.  My daughter found an entire website list of all the references and we have had fun talking about them at dinner time.  I love the books so much that I think this summer I will have MarioFan read it as it is about video games too and he loves that.  I also found out my husband has never watched the movie 'Lady Hawk" or "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"  so we will be watching those movies shortly.  :)

Our piano teacher that we have been going too for the last three years has just decided to pull her children from public school.  She has been asking lots of homeschooling questions so I invited her over to go though some of the books I was planning on getting rid of which is just about the age her 3 kids are at.    This is just a portion of the books I have pulled off the shelves.  I still have 2 more book cases to go though.    I also pulled out some learning games and flash cards that my kids no longer use.


Then I decided to pull all my curriculum that I really do need to get rid of.    She choose what she wanted and then I plan to sell the rest


I have mentioned in past blogs that I am trying to Loom knit with the goal of learning how to make mittens and sock (I already know how to make a hat and scarf) so I can make complete sets (hat, scarf, mitten and socks) to donate to the homeless.  This week while watching the Olympics I finally figured out how to make a sock.  I had to watch several you tube videos to find the right one for me to follow.  After a few missteps I finally figured it out.  While it is not perfect it is a start.  I just need to keep practicing:)!

the completed single sock, I am working on the match:)

It fit my husband foot:)  These socks will have to be one size fits all:)
My family has enjoyed watching the Olympics the past two weeks.  Gathering around the TV in the evenings cheering on all the athletes.  We were fortunate to attend the Para Olympics while they were being held in London a few years ago and the kids are hooked.

It also helps that we have been indulging in some very nice treats while we watch the games

Our first chocolate fondue was a success!
Keeping busy as always.  Due to the flu bug and my husband's unexpected surgery a few weeks ago we have fallen behind on school work.  Hoping to get back into the swing of things soon.  


2 comments: