Monday 22 October 2012

Reanactment Fair

I know I have done lots of re-enactment posts since we have moved to the UK.  However I have mostly concentrated on Vikings as that is my family's interest.  Recently, we went to an event that show cased some more modern eras. 
Here is an 1930-1940's group

We got to see an impromptu dance to the music of the era

Love the cars:)




WWI encampment


WWI supplies

showing how soldiers protect themselves





First aid tent

Here we met a British re-enactor pretending to be a US war correspondent:) during WWII


Supplies needed by a WWII correspondent

Military vechicles


We watched soldiers going out on patrol, using point men and hand signals




Modern day military

UK soldier today

Kids got to hold and examine weapons


Some of the weapons used today; for instance, we saw rubber bullets and tear gas canisters.

Looking at a different kind of weapon


More military vehicles

I think these were early War re-enactors walking about

Another military camp from  modern time
It was quite interesting to see how military uniforms, weapons and vehicles changed over time.  Another great day out!

7 comments:

  1. I was just talking to someone the other day about how weird people from the UK sound when they try to speak with American accents! Did the re-enactor try to speak with an U.S. accent? Why was the modern military there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL no he spoke with a British accent but when we are doing our Viking stuff we don't change our accents either:) I think the modern military was there since it was a military show. It was very interesting to talk to them about their weapons and what they deal with in Afghanistan and Pakistan. They are not allowed to shot to kill even when they are being directly fired upon. I was also told they rely heavily on US protection when they go out on patrols since the UK has scaled down their military over the past several years. This was just one guy talking so I don't know how much is true but he fell the US did much more to protect its soldiers then the UK did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting...this would have been fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do want to go on one of your adventures. Your posts intrigue me and I love following your fun events. I enjoyed this one since I had a grandfather in WWI and an Uncle in WWII.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've said it before. I'll say it again. I want to be in your family! I am absolutely mad for period automobiles! Loved the first part of the post especially. My army son would have been mad for the rest. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like so much fun. Please consider sharing it and any of you other adventures on "Look! What We Did!" Thanks, Savannah http://lookwhatwedid-homeschool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete