Friday 8 March 2019

weekly wrap up 3/8/19-- Returning to work and a new New Chore

So I am looking to return to part time work by summer time.  It was a hard decision and one I am still not sure of.  However our oldest child is going off to college next year and she needs a car and a laptop computer so she can be successful in college.  Money doesn't grow on trees so I am going to attempt to get my Occupational Therapy License back by the summer and hopefully find a part time job locally.  In order to do that I need to get 36 CEU's and reapply for my license in my state since I last worked as an OT in the state of MD and haven't worked in 14 years!!!  It is a bit scary.  I am scheduled to go to a huge OT conference in April in New Orleans.

Just in case I am not able to return to OT practice I thought I could work for the school district as a substitute teacher. The local district had a job fair last week and a friend and I attended.

This was the crowd we walked into-- we lasted about 30 minutes before giving up and going out to lunch. To say we were overwhelm is putting it mildly.


I am still planning to homeschool MarioFan next year and it will be a new challenge to figure how it will all work out.  However MarioFan has really grown this year and is doing more and more for his work independently so I think with some adjustment, for both of us, we will manage.  Only time will tell.  


Because I am planning to return to work I spoke to the family about everyone having to help out a lot more around the house.  While my kids do have chores (dishes, pets, bathrooms and bedrooms) and are generally pretty good about doing their chores there is still plenty of things that get done around here that I do more or less on my own.  One of those things is Laundry, which is my nemesis. It is not unusual for laundry to be washed and then sit on the sofa for a couple of days until I get around to folding it -- just being honest here:(.  I always seem to be behind in laundry duty and I swear there are times when the kids laundry baskets come back down the stairs on laundry day that some of the clothes inside it have never been worn from the last washing.  So it was one for the things that I wanted off my list of things to do.

So every member of the family has been assigned a day to complete their laundry (includes towels and bed linens).  If they miss their day for any reason said person is welcome to pick another day that has not been assigned to complete their laundry.

Monday -- MOM
Tuesday -- Firedrake
Wednesday-- MarioFan
Thursday--Free
Friday-- Free
Saturday -- Dad
Sunday-- Free

I was so surprised that no one resisted this new schedule, in fact both kids say they prefer it, YAY!!!  So far I just need to give reminders to the person of the day to get started and then to take out their clothes by the end of the evening...I am working on eliminating that verbal reminder over the next few weeks.

I should have done this years ago:)!!!  Only person to miss their laundry day in the two weeks that we have been doing this is ME, oops:)


1 comment:

  1. I am thinking of adjusting the chores just because they are getting closer to being grown up and need to rotate through some of the more complicated chores in life. I hope you OT license works out.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete