Thursday 26 April 2012

Glass Harmonica

Last year while the kids an I were studying about the American Revolution we learn a great deal about Benjamin Franklin.  I have to say he is one person that if I could go back in time I would love to have a cup of tea and a chat with.  What a remarkable man!  While in the states last month, my husband and I dropped the children off at my parents and headed for Williamsburg, VA.  My husband went to college there and secretly hopes so will our children, but that is another post:)  While touring around Colonial Williamsburg, we noticed a show advertising the Glass Harmonica, I just had to see it.


The individual bowls are rimmed with gold plate.

There are only a few dozen people in the world who can play this instrument.  There are lots of interesting stories about this instrument, one being that it fell out of favor because it was believed to caused insanity.

It was a great show, too bad my kids weren't there to see it with me.  I did buy the CD and DVD to show the children so they can hear this remarkable instrument.









Just listen to this You tube video I found!  While my kids weren't officially with us for this trip I did bring home some resources so I can share this wonderful experience with them.  I am linking this post up to Home school Field trip hop see side bar for button/link:)!




7 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds beautiful! I am amazed that more people don't know how to play it. I had never even heard of such a thing. I wonder why they thought it caused insanity????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this link that explains why they thought the instrument caused insanity:)

      http://oddstruments.com/can-an-instruments-sound-cause-insanity-maybe/

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! Thank you, I'm sharing this with my son later. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Anna Marie, you were just up the road from us!! Glad you has a good time, it is such a beautiful area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh too bad Michelle, I didn't know you lived so close that we could have made a connection:) We talk of retiring in that area as it is where my husband went to college. He still loves it there. We try to go back every couple of years:) Maybe next time:)

      Delete
  4. This is so neat! Thanks for sharing. My son and I love Ben's Glass Harmonica. We went to the historical site in Philadelphia this year and learned that his Glass Harmonica is currently in storage but will be shown once the replica of his home is completed. I get excited that others like this invention of his as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete