Thursday 23 December 2010

Christmas Cakes


In England they have a fabulous Christmas Fruitcake. I have to say it beats the American fruitcake hands down (but that is just my opinion):). Although my kids and Husband are not the biggest fans of this dessert, I love it. They won't eat American fruit cake either:(
The Christmas cake got its start as an off shoot of the Christmas pudding but the cake is baked and not steamed. Originally this dessert was baked as part of the refreshments offered to village priest and his entourage who would visit and bless each house in the parish on the feast of the Epiphany, January 6th. This custom died out after the Reformation in the late 16th century. Around the mid 1800's the Christmas cake was revived but this time it was served during the Christmas festivities and decorated with simple Christmas themes.

Next is the Yule Log cake which is also known as the Buche de Noel. It is believed this custom was brought over to the British Isles from the Continent. The first mention of the Yule Log in British history is in the 1600's when it was actually a wooden log added to the fire on Christmas to ward of evil and bring prosperity to the household. The wooden Yule Log custom died out and has been replaced with this yummy dessert instead:). Definitely adding it to our Christmas celebration while living in England. This one did not make it till Christmas, the kids and I ate it shortly after this picture was taken and I don't feel guilty about it:)!

Last but certainly not least is our family tradition--Birthday cake for Jesus. I started this when my daughter was 3 years old and we have done it every year since. The children and I will bake a cake and decorate it. Our first Jesus birthday cake was ordered from Walmart, 6 years ago, and at that time they had these lovely baby manager toppings. I saved them and every year it goes on the cake. I also have a set of small plastic finger puppets of the nativity that I received from church one year that is also added for decorations. My kids really enjoy this tradition and after Christmas dinner we sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. My husband also reads the Nativity story from the Bible.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!! Hope you are having a wonderful and joyous time with your family and friends!

Head over to No Ordinary blog hop hosted by Linda, Tracy and me to link up your blog. New rules for 2011!!

Also any Christmas post can be linked up to Our Worldwide Classroom.

13 comments:

  1. Oh those cakes look so yummy! I'm not a big fan of American fruitcake, but I would try the English kind based on your review. The log looks yummy too. We also decorate a birthday cake for Jesus, but it doesn't look as nice as yours. I let the kids sprinkle (dump) all kinds of sprinkles, sugar crystals, icing all of over the cake for Jesus and then we too sing Happy Birthday with their cousins. It's a fun way to remind us of the reason for the season isn't it? :) Clicked a vote for you today and may you have a wonderful and peaceful Christmas too! :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The manger scene on the birthday cake for Jesus is adorable! Wishing you many Christmas blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy,
    I couldn't find a recent picture of last year's cake so this is an older one where the kids didn't do as much. My daughter already has drawn out a design on how the cake will look this year. We are decorating the cake tomorrow morning:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Renee,
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I loved your post BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blah for the fruit cake. (LOL) But the yule log and the cake for Jesus look fabulous! What a great idea to have nativity decorations for the Jesus cake. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for so much information about the cake and yule log. I worked in a bakery for a short time years ago and at CHRISTmas we made so many "yule logs" I think I could do it in my sleep. I was amazed at how many people still know the story of the yule log. Have a great day, and Merry CHRISTmas. I voted for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan,
    It was so nice to have found the little nativity set as it is perfect for our cake:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lynda,
    I had never heard of the Yule log cake in the states:). I had heard of the Wooden solstice Yule log. In fact I have one to decorate our Christmas table. I don't know how to make one that would be fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you're having a delicious holiday season! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry CHRISTmas Anna-Marie! I hope you had a wonderful day. I did get the crackers in the mail yesterday. Thank you so much. My son enjoyed them and the little toys that were inside. I voted for you yesterday and today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lynda
    I am glad you got the crackers but they took a long time to arrive:( Save some for New Year's dinner, that what we do:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sparklee
    You have a very nice yule log on your site:) Hope you are having a wonderful Christmas with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your baby Jesus cake!!

    ReplyDelete