Friday 4 February 2022

Weekly Wrap UP 2/4/22 -- Retirement and Moving process

 My husband's last day for work last Friday.  His retirement ceremony will be this Monday.  He wasn't planning to retire quite so soon but the mortgage company wanted his retirement papers and retirement income in order to clear us for the new house.  We had less than 3 weeks to prepare and organize a retirement ceremony.  Just a tad stressful but it is done and he is officially retired.  

But don't think he will be resting too much as we have compiled a "honey do" that is quite long for him to work on during the day while MarioFan and I work on school.  MarioFan is mostly independent but I still have lesson planning and grading to do for a couple more months.

The house is a complete mess with piles of boxes for moving and more piles of bags to give to charity.  I was trying to give things away on the free cycle site but that got tedious and I got fed up with the number of people who never showed up.  

This is the pile going to Charity.  They are picking it up next week the table and stain glass lamps are NOT going to Charity:)

Since we got rid of the dinning room set we have been using the dining room as a place to put all the packed boxes.  It is about 1/2 way filled.  

I so far have been able to secure all the moving boxes from other people only having to buy bubble wrap, tape and packing paper, which is still expensive.  We only have the garage and stain glass room to pack up.  I am paying to have the movers pack up the kitchen as I want them to use the correct boxes and supplies to minimize breakage.  

I have been obsessing over packing my stain glass windows and how to get it to the new house with no damage.  Normally when shipping to people commission work I sandwich the glass (wrapped in bubble wrap)  between plywood and screw it together with spacers.  However doing that would weigh a ton and cost a small fortune.  So instead I have been carefully individually wrapping all the glass windows and putting them in individual boxes and currently they are in a coat closest to make sure they don't fall over.  

I have a lot of glass panels :). 

Luckily I saved two of the wooden crates we shipped the glass lamps in over to England, the crates were so big I was able to put 2 glass lamps shades in each box. I have securely package up the lamps and will allow the movers to take these two on a truck.  I still have two glass lamp shades 3 drum lamps and 2 guitar lamps to figure out how to box up so they arrive safely to the new house.

The plans are for my husband to drive down to our new home and carry my glass in the car and rent a small storage container to put them in until we get our household items delivered to the house.  That way there is no chance of any rough handling.  It has been quite a process.

We have one more room and bath room to paint and then carpet cleaners are coming in and then we stage the house.  We have three weeks to get it all done!  


No comments:

Post a Comment