Friday 29 April 2022

Weekly Wrap Up 4/29/22 -- Retirement

 After working in the US government for over 35+ years, my husband retired the end of January.  It all happened so fast due to the mortgage company wanted certain paperwork to come thru before closing (we all know how slow the government can be sometimes)  on the new house that he had to retired about 3 months earlier than planned.  

Because of the ongoing pandemic his retirement ceremony had to be virtual for all attendees except for immediate family.  Our oldest was in college and unable to attend (if the original plans for retirement had been kept we would have done the ceremony over her spring break). Not even my Mother was allowed to attend in person.  Instead everyone was giving a website link and could log in to watch it.  My husband requested that it also be recorded and a copy given to us in case any one who had computer issues on the day could still get to see it (we have several older family member who still struggle with technology). Also I wanted to have a copy for ourselves.

Because of the speed in which things happen my husband's last day of work was 4 weeks before his retirement ceremony.  So when he entered his work building on his retirement day, he did so as a visitor not as a government employee.  I think that was a strange experience for him.  The only photographs taken that day were done by the government photographer and I had to wait to until I had receive copies of them before I could do a post on his ceremony, which was weeks ago!  Better late than never I guess.


Presented with a flag

I was given a letter of appreciation for being a supportive spouse for all the times my husband was away on business and time he had to spend away from the family

A NGA medal for 35 years of service to the United States


Although very small it was still a nice retirement ceremony and the guest speakers had lovely words to say about my husband and everything he has accomplished in his very disguised career!  I am very proud of him.  

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to your husband. My husband celebrates 15 years with the US government today. I hope everything goes well with your new house.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete