Friday 8 April 2022

Weekly wrap UP 4/8/22-- A day out for Mom and Dad

 With our house on the market the realtor wanted to do a huge opening weekend so we had to vacant the house but first we needed to find a pet hotel for our older sweet dog, Luna.  We rarely leave her in a kennel as I am not a huge fan of them.  I prefer to have a dog sitter come to the house however since we can't leave the dog behind for the open house, I needed to find something else.  I call so many places, even made a reservation for one, but cancelled it as soon as I toured the facility as it was not where I wanted to leave my dog.  I am pretty picky about who cares for my pets.  

However we finally stumbled on a place  (that several people recommended) that was quite a distance from the house.  After calling them and setting up a reservation they asked us to bring in the Luna in to do a Doggy orientation and make sure she wouldn't be too stressed out in the facility.  We had to drop her off at 9 and pick her up at 3 pm. I also wanted to do a tour of the facility before committing to leaving her there.  

I have to say I was pretty please with Petropolis, it was clean, the areas for the dogs were large and they had plenty of activities for the dogs.  While Luna was very stressed out when we arrived (as was I) she sure seemed happy when we came to pick her up.  Petropolis sent us a progress report and several pictures of her while she was there.  



She was very nervous when she arrived

She will be staying there for next weekend while the family goes on a trip when the open house is scheduled.  

Since this Petropolis was aways from our house my husband and I made a day of it to explore Daniel Boone's house.  I have taken the kids there for homeschool day, several years ago,  however,  my husband has never been to it. 

Nathaniel Boone's house is in Defiance MO.  Daniel Boone lived with lots of his children but considered this one his final home, according to the guide

The back porches are original to the house but the stair cases are not.  

The view from the back porch which the Gide said was the front of the house as it is facing the Osage river which was how people got to the property in those days.  The River is at the second tree line.


the tour guide was excellent and gave a lot of information about Boone and his family.  The picture over the fireplace is a copy of the only known artist painting done, when he was around 70 years old.


The bedroom he reportedly died in.  According to the guide Boone got sick while visiting his daughter and requested he be brought back to his son's home and died peacefully in this room surrounded by family 

A replica of Boone's rifle called the tick licker supposedly because Boone was so good a shot he could shot a tick off a bear's nose

this painting is of his daughter and 2 other girls who were kidnapped by Indians. Boone (along with others) rescued them, according to the guide this is the basis of the movie "The Last Mohicans". I have no idea if this is true or not, but since it is my husband favorite movie it was a fun tidbit to learn


Nathaniel and his wife's bedroom 

Kitchen and dinning area

The only thing in the house that they know is from the Boone era is this butter churn that has his initials in it. 


It was a gorgeous day for a tour and we enjoyed ourselves.  We still had some time to kill before picking up our  dog so we headed to St Charles historic district. 

We stopped for a late lunch at a barbecue restaurant and did a little window shopping.

Then we went to pick up our little dog.  She was so happy to see us.  According to staff she did great after her initial anxiety.  

she slept a lot that evening because she was so tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment