Friday 21 August 2020

Weekly Wrap Up 8/21/20 -- College move in day!

 Firedrake left for college this past week and it was exciting and very stressful.  Not quite what we had in mind when we thought about sending our oldest off to college.  This pandemic is ruining lots of memories but we solider on and make the best of it.

Before Firedrake left we had to make sure Elvis's claws were clipped and since she is the only person he completely trusts we needed her help.  The next time his nails are clipped is when she returns home:)

We have been packing and sorting everything that needed to go to college for well over a month.  The list of things to bring is quite long and then the college says pack lite.  That is simply not possible with all the necessary supplies that are needed.

Somehow we manage to get it all into one car, with some room to spare!  

I decided to bring the folding red wagon with us to make it easier to cart all her things to the dorm.  That turned out to one of the best ideas :) I didn't want to use the carts the college handed out because of germs.  
We managed to fit it all in one car.  We did take two cars up as Firedrake needs a car to get around town. 



I think this was the final load to the dorm 


We drove to the college the night before check in and stayed at a hotel.  I was less than impressed with the towns social distancing and mask wearing policies as in there weren't any other than in the hotel and a few stores insisted on masks.  My husband and I discussed it that night and to be honest about how the next day would go at the college if the town was so indifferent to the pandemic.  :(

We were scheduled to be at the dorm at 8 am and only had 2 hours to unpack and get her room organized.  It was madness.  Luckily her roommate wasn't scheduled to arrive until the afternoon so we had the rooms to ourselves for social distancing.  It took the full two hours to get her room set up and unpack!

Her desk area.

Her bed area

We did have to make a Walmart run as the curtain rod I purchase was the wrong size and we needed another curtain panel as the window was larger than expected based on the college measurements.  Also Firedrake decide she had to had a bedside fan as the room was too hot!  We also didn't have the tools to lower the bed and didn't know where to get any (the college did offer some but we noticed it to late to make any changes.  So we bought her a step stool so she could get into the bed:)

After getting her room ready we went to the college bookstore pick up her books and headed to lunch at the cafeteria.  I wanted to see how they were social distancing there.  Fortunately the college was mandating masks and where taking all necessary precautions which made me feel slightly better.  Firedrake did said she would try not to go into town very often if at all:)

All the tables had dividers and limited to only 2 or 3 people at a table.  They also had carry out services to any who wanted it and we saw lots of kids take advantage of that!
After lunch we walked a little around campus and then left Firedrake to rest in her dorm as they were many activities going on that evening (most on zoom)


My husband and I decided to spend one extra day in town just to make sure nothing more was needed for the room.  As we could quickly run to the store and pick up any necessary supplies were missing because trying to get four girls to organize who was bring what over email was taxing (For me) as the girls seem to not figure out who was bringing what.  I am sure there are duplicates of some items and was sure that something would be missing and wanted to be sure I could get it for them if I could.  Good thing I did as I needed to replace the curtains to black out curtains as the girls said there was a street lamp that shined right into their rooms.  So back to Walmart we went the next morning and stopped by very quickly to hang them up and got a chance to meet Firedrakes roommate.  

Before driving home we toured the state park that is not far from the campus and looks at the Indian Petroglyphs. 




 

The drive home was a bit sad for us.  The house with only one child in it will seem awfully quiet.  I don't know where the time went and how my little baby is all grown up.  Part of us were sad and then part of us were excited to see where her future will lead her.  

When I got home I was surprised to find a package for me from a dear Friend.  She knows how worried I was sending my baby away from home during a pandemic!  What a sweet surprise to cheer me up when I got home:)


a new mug for my morning tea:)

So now that I got the oldest off I need to turn my attention to my youngest and get started organizing the school room and getting him going with his school work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment